Ever wondered how effective social media marketing really is? We’ve put together this short blog to highlight the benefits of social media marketing for businesses!
Firstly, Social Media Marketing, or SMM, is a form of internet marketing that implements various social media networks in order to achieve marketing communication and branding goals. SMM primarily covers activities involving social sharing of content, videos, and images for marketing purposes. As you may know, the popularity and impact of social media is continuing to expand at a remarkable pace. As of January 2016, it was recorded that there are 3.419 billion internet users, with 2.307 of these being active social media users. These statistics show that social media has a huge impact on the lives of people all around the world.
According to Statista, Facebook is the leading social network, based on the number of active users. As of April 2016, it was recorded to have 1,590 million users with WhatsApp closely following with 1,000 million active users. These statistics show that, if brands haven’t already, they need to start tweeting, sharing or posting if they want a consumer-centric marketing strategy, whether the brands are big or small.
Once brands have a presence on social media, it is important that they continually monitor and update their accounts in order to keep their users engaged. We’ve put together a list of some of the ways that SMM can help businesses:
- Increased Brand Recognition: Social media networks are important because it makes your business easier and more accessible for new customers, along with being more familiar and recognisable for existing customers
- More Opportunities to Convert: Every post on a social media platform is an opportunity for customers to convert. Not every interaction with your brand results in conversion, but every positive interaction increases the likelihood of a conversion eventually. Even if CTRs are low, the sheer number of opportunities you have on social media is significant.
- Higher Conversion Rates: Social media is a place where brands can act like people do, and this is important because people often like to do business with other people and not with companies. A higher number of social media followers can tend to improve credibility and trust in a brand, which represents social proof. Therefore, simply building your audience in social media can improve conversion rates on existing traffic.
- Increased Inbound Traffic: Without social media, a company’s inbound traffic is limited to people who are already familiar with a brand and people searching for keywords you currently rank for. Any presence a brand has on social media is a path leading back to a site and every piece of content you syndicate on those profiles is another opportunity for a new visitor.
- Better Search Engine Rankings: SEO is the best way to capture relevant traffic from search engines, but the requirements for success are always changing. For example, Google could calculate their rankings using social media presence as an important factor, because strong brands almost always use a form of social media. Being active on social media can act as a “brand signal” to search engines that your brand is legitimate, trustworthy and credible.
It’s safe to say that social media certainly does play a huge part in effective advertising, and helping businesses grow by reaching more potential customers and increasing conversions.
Be sure to check out our blogs on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn!